• Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator
    Twitter
    ICThawk

Yes | No

If Randle wants to go Pro, needs to choose KU not UK

Julius Randle should probably join the Kansas Jayhawks when he decides in the next couple weeks; that is just probably how it should go down if he wants to get to the pros as soon as possible.

He is looking at other schools, and it would not surprise me if he ended up in Lexington and my heart is hoping that he ends up at N.C. State. I mean how could you not root for chance at an Anthony “The Cat” Barber pick and roll. That would just be so much fun to watch and honestly it is what I’m hoping will happen. But the smart money? He will be a Kansas Jayhawk and make Bill Self a happy man indeed. He would be a great coach for the young man as well. Randle’s game is quite versatile and he projects as either a small forward or a power forward at the next level. He would likely play both positions at Kansas, but it will be very intriguing to see how he is used at the next level.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/prep-sport...OEOKQbsYDoG.99

VACATED

Yes | No
    That's cute.
    Whittlin' the wood

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    LOL

Administrator
    Twitter
    ICThawk

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by thedeerehunter View Post
    That's cute.
    I can taste your fear. It tastes of cheap whiskey and wasted dreams.

VACATED

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ICThawk View Post
    I can taste your fear. It tastes of cheap whiskey and wasted dreams.
    We will revisit this soon.

And it's bourbon, and I don't drink the cheap shit.
    Whittlin' the wood

' '

Yes | No

Kentucky Deluxe instead of Evan Williams.

I can drink to that
    http://i.imgur.com/qHx1G.gif

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Rumor tonight both Randle and Wiggins committing to KU. It was some kentucky honk radio guy. But it is a rumor.

hello at the blog

Yes | No
    Look at ICanTrollHawk getting his groove on

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by The42Yardstick View Post
    Look at ICanTrollHawk getting his groove on
    I thought it was a solid example of PI.

Yes | No
    I finally zoomed in on your not two purple electric razor avatar. Mystery solved.

Yes | No
    Oreo eating purple hulk?

Yes | No
    WTF is rantsports? Seeing these links more and more and its always bleacher report-style crap content "written" by fans.

VACATED

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by StiflingKansasDefense View Post
    WTF is rantsports? Seeing these links more and more and its always bleacher report-style crap content "written" by fans.
    It's where ICT gets all his super top secret insider info. TOTALLY legit source.
    Whittlin' the wood

Administrator
    Twitter
    ICThawk

Yes | No

It's where ICT gets all his super top secret insider info. TOTALLY legit source.
    Mmmmmm delicious fear.

Peon

Yes | No
    Can anyone name one single legitimate reason Randle should pick UK over KU?
    "Better to do little well than more poorly." Appy

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Appyhawk View Post
    Little known fact: Coeds with missing teeth really get him going.

Yes | No
    Green thumb for you Greg

VACATED

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Appyhawk View Post
    Since "legitimate" could be subject to debate, I'll give you one that isn't debatable: UK is far more likely to be a "legitimate" national title contender next year.
    Whittlin' the wood

VACATED

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Little known fact: Coeds with missing teeth really get him going.
    It's always good for an ironic chuckle when IUsed-to-be fans throw the hick card in regards to UK fans.
    Whittlin' the wood

Administrator

Yes | No
    To be fair, last year Self proved we don't have to be considered by the media/public to be a contender...UK was considered a contender this year (preseason no. 2, IIRC)...sure losing Noel was a blow to the chances, but considering preseason expectations, Calipari proved that even when he is considered to have a title contender, it doesn't necessarily work out that way

VACATED

Yes | No
    Preseason #3 was as high as UK was in any of the polls, but even a homer like me had a feeling that was a bit of fool's gold for this team. You simply don't lose literally 95% of EVERYTHING from the previous team and not have some, if not a lot, of growing pains. Just too young and too thin of a bench. Then add in the Noel injury (which happened about the team they were coming around), and you get what he have now, a team that's still bubblicious.
    Whittlin' the wood

Yes | No
    I think you mean busting in to the tournament.

Yes | No
    Preseason #3 was as high as UK was in any of the polls, but even a homer like me had a feeling that was a bit of fool's gold for this team. You simply don't lose literally 95% of EVERYTHING from the previous team and not have some, if not a lot, of growing pains. Just too young and too thin of a bench. Then add in the Noel injury (which happened about the team they were coming around), and you get what he have now, a team that's still bubblicious.
    Yet somehow Self does it every year.

We will lose probably more than 95% of this years team. How much do you want to bet KU's results next year will eclipse that of UKs this year? Your coach is about stockpiling talent. When its not the best in the country he is not either. Calipari coaching this years KU team probably on the bubble as well.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Not to mention, Conner effing Teahan played 17 minutes in the NC game

no disrespect to him, but that wasn't exactly a blowout

' '

Yes | No
    Didn't Self lose about 85% of the team after 08 and went to the Sweet 16 the next year?

' '

Yes | No
    Since "legitimate" could be subject to debate, I'll give you one that isn't debatable: UK is far more likely to be a "legitimate" national title contender next year.

And this is a completely stupid statement to make before you know who is staying/leaving

VACATED

Yes | No
    You guys like the way your boy is doing it, I like the way my boy is doing it. Both have the results to prove what they're doing is working for them.
    Whittlin' the wood

VACATED

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    And this is a completely stupid statement to make before you know who is staying/leaving
    No, it's not, because I know SOME will be back, and the class coming is ridiculous. Therefore, a more legit contender.
    Whittlin' the wood

Won a week of Sheep once

Yes | No
    No, it's not, because I know SOME will be back, and the class coming is ridiculous. Therefore, a more legit contender.
    I think Cal has shown over the last decade that having the most talent does not necessarily make a contender.
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

Voted WtW's Most Knowledgeable About Basketball - 11/19/2012

Yes | No
    I think I see a small puff of white smoke.

VACATED

Yes | No
    Puff, puff, pass.
    Whittlin' the wood

Administrator
    Twitter
    ICThawk

Yes | No

It's interesting to me how a little thread about a little blog has Deere so rattled. Pretty interesting.

Yes | No
    Tomorrow at NOON is the announcement.

5 out of 6 experts on ESPNU predicted KU for Randle. He is using hats. No sources. Nobody knows. As I said...if we land Randle I think chances of landing Wiggins in addition go up exponentially. If we miss Randle...I think we miss both.

Moderatus Emeritus

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    . He is using hats.
    Fuck.

Yes | No
    I love how us as KU fans all dread hearing recruits are using hats to choose.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    Fuck.
    The curse has been broken a couple times already...just not on the big boys so it SEEMS we always lose the "hat selection."

Time to break it on ESPNU.

rocks & chalks year round

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    Tomorrow at NOON is the announcement.

5 out of 6 experts on ESPNU predicted KU for Randle. He is using hats. No sources. Nobody knows. As I said...if we land Randle I think chances of landing Wiggins in addition go up exponentially. If we miss Randle...I think we miss both.
    I had not read that Randle & Wiggins wanted to play together. Is this the case? Any reason for this thought process or just a hunch? TIA.

Yes | No
    Question for KU fans: If you put aside your KU bias, why would a recruit choose KU over Cal/UK? Cal promotes the shit out of his players and playing for UK guarantees a ridiculous amount of exposure. Just look at this year, UK is an NIT team and they still get five minute segments on ESPN. Cal turns the freshmen loose and let's them play and when you add in Cal's track record with getting guys drafted in the lotto, suddenly choosing UK becomes a no-brainer for any top 10 recruit.

On the flip side you have Self who has a strict policy of not playing freshman until he decides they're ready. You have studs like Thomas Robinson and Perry Ellis that ride the pine their first year. Are those players better off in the long run for taking that time to learn and adjust to the college game? Probably. But unfortunately for KU that's not what a bunch of self-proclaimed one-and-dones want to hear.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    You can say the same thing about any school not named Kentucky. Yet, every year projected one and dones choose to go places other than Lexington for a bunch of different reasons.

Yes | No
    Look at the top players that have come to KU in the past. Henry is the main one, he was a starter from day one. Don't see that being any different for Randle or Wiggins.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShocker View Post
    Question for KU fans: If you put aside your KU bias, why would a recruit choose KU over Cal/UK? Cal promotes the shit out of his players and playing for UK guarantees a ridiculous amount of exposure. Just look at this year, UK is an NIT team and they still get five minute segments on ESPN. Cal turns the freshmen loose and let's them play and when you add in Cal's track record with getting guys drafted in the lotto, suddenly choosing UK becomes a no-brainer for any top 10 recruit.

On the flip side you have Self who has a strict policy of not playing freshman until he decides they're ready. You have studs like Thomas Robinson and Perry Ellis that ride the pine their first year. Are those players better off in the long run for taking that time to learn and adjust to the college game? Probably. But unfortunately for KU that's not what a bunch of self-proclaimed one-and-dones want to hear.
    If you aren't a surefire top-5 talent, you're probably better off going to a program that will arguably develop you a little more. Daniel Orton comes to mind; COULD make a case for Terrence Jones and even Polythress, Cauley-Stein, whatever. I don't think you could make any sort of argument that players don't develop extraordinarily well at KU if they put in the time. And it's not like the top-5 guys we have gotten haven't had the opportunity to play. Henry got plenty of PT. Selby had the suspension and injuries that hampered him. What other surefire one and dones have we gotten?

But if you're John Wall, MKG, Davis, Wiggins, probably Randle, it doesn't really matter where you play ball. You will get the exposure. I'd just go where I thought I was going to have the best time, whether that be KU, UK, Pepperdine, Alaska, whatever.
    Last edited by KingofCarrotFlowers; 03-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Yes | No
    I think if a kid really does have the talent to be a one and done and shows it in early practice, he'll get his PT.

On the other hand, if the speed and difficulty of the game at this level initially trips him up, Self has proven he and his staff can provide coaching to get him where he needs to be. That's got to count for something, even to these guys that are convinced they are the best thing to have ever dribbled a basketball.

Yes | No

You're comparing apples to oranges. On one hand, you talk about UK being a no-brainer for top-10 recruits. But when you talk about the players from KU, they're not top-10 recruits. Thomas and Perry were never going to be one-and-done players, not even at UK w/ Cal. Xavier Henry was a top-10, played a lot at KU, got drafted in the lottery. Same thing would have happened to him had he gone to UK (or Memphis had Cal stayed).

If Randle's game is what everyone thinks it is, he'll be a lottery pick in 15 months if he goes to UK, KU, Texas or wherever else he wants to go. He'll be a lottery pick if he went to UMKC.

Your assumption is that Self treats every Freshman player the same, which is obviously incorrect. He's going to put the team on the floor that gives KU the best chance to win a game, Senior or Freshman.

3rd Chair Moderator
    Twitter
    WavingTheWheat

Yes | No

Yeeeah, your comparison isn't good at all. Robinson was ranked 28th on RSCI, which put him just behind Peyton Siva, who stayed for his senior year. Ellis was #31. Meanwhile UK's one and done's from last year were #1, #3, #7. Not even close.

VACATED

Yes | No
    It's close now...
    Whittlin' the wood

Administrator
    Twitter
    ICThawk

Yes | No

It's close now...
    Well luckily Cal has a lot of free time today to make final pitches.

VACATED

Yes | No

Ahem...
    Whittlin' the wood